Yes, your pets can die from toxic black mold exposure

For example, a study in 2007 about two Himalayan cats who had undergone routine dental cleaning and prophylaxis, but died because they were exposed to toxic black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) in their home shows just how dangerous mold can be to your pets.

The clinical findings stated that the cats were siblings and lived together. They both went pre-operative physical examinations and laboratory testing which were unremarkable.

But approximately 15 to 20 minutes after administration of isoflurane was begun, frothy blood was noticed within the endotracheal tube. Blood was suctioned from the endotracheal tube, and the cats were allowed to recover from anesthesia.

Treatment and Outcome—1 cat initially responded to supportive care but developed a second episode of spontaneous pulmonary hemorrhage approximately 30 hours later and died. The other cat responded to supportive care and was discharged after 4 days, but its condition deteriorated, and the cat died 10 days later.

Subsequently, it was discovered that the home was severely contaminated with mold as a result of storm damage that had occurred approximately 7 months previously.

Retrospective analysis of banked serum from the cats revealed satratoxin G, a biomarker for Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly referred to as “toxic black mold.”

The researchers concluded that the findings highlight the potential risk of acute pulmonary hemorrhage in animals living in an environment contaminated with mold following flood damage.


1. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association September 1, 2007, Vol. 231, No. 5, Pages 731-735 doi: 10.2460/javma.231.5.731

Call Now

Pin It on Pinterest