How would you vegans like a meat and soy free burger made with mold? Doesn’t that sound toxically delicious?

I’m often amazed at what is being sold here in the U.S. as food in our supermarkets and in restaurants. From genetically modified (GMO) food, to cancer-causing pesticide soaked fruits and vegetables. It is no wonder that many people today suffer from various illnesses and diseases that have no known cure or die suddenly from mysterious causes.

The famous saying by Hippocrates, “Let thy food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food,” has now become “Let thy food be thy poison and thy poison be thy food.”

This story about an 11-year-old boy who died after he ate a turkey burger with an FDA approved mold food additive called mycoprotein (mold protein) is a perfect example of how the modern food industry has become a monster that is poisoning and killing people.

Mycoprotein means protein from molds (fungi).  “Myco” is from the Greek word for “mold or fungus“.  It was originally developed as a food source to combat food shortages. All Quorn products contain mycoprotein derived from the fungus Fusarium venenatum.

The parents of Miles Bengco, are suing the food manufacturer Quorn Foods Inc., for using mycoprotein it makes that caused his death. Please keep in mind that the FDA has approved the fungal ingredient called Quorn, and has also received approximately 2,000 complaints from people who have eaten this product and experienced nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hives and breathing difficulties.

There have been studies showing that this mycoprotein is not safe for human consumption, and the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPSI) first urged the Food and Drug Administration to take Quorn off the market in 2002, and has been collecting adverse reaction reports from consumers ever since at

CSPI has collected about 500 such reports from Americans and 1,200 more from European and Australian consumers. The vast majority of those reactions involved vomiting and diarrhea; others reported fainting or blood appearing in stool, vomit, or eyes. A smaller percentage of complaints involved hives or potentially fatal anaphylactic reactions. About 17 percent of complainants required medical treatment, sometimes hospitalization.

“There are plenty of nutritious, safe, and environmentally-friendly meat substitutes, made with soybeans, mushrooms, legumes, rice, and other real food ingredients,” said Jacobson. “It’s crazy to knowingly allow a potent new allergen into the food supply yet that’s exactly what the FDA has done.”

Dr. David A. Morowitz, Clinical Professor of Medicine (gastroenterology) at Georgetown University. “ The data argue compellingly,” he says, “that the mycoprotein derived from Fusarium venenatum is almost certainly gastrotoxic. The risk of its toxicity does not justify its continued use here in the United States.”

“On theoretical grounds alone,” adds Dr. John Santilli, a Bridgeport, Connecticut allergist, “the use of this mold in food is highly dubious. Intentionally increasing consumer exposure to mold through the food supply will only increase the risk of discomfort and adverse reactions in mold-sensitive consumers.”

The Washington Post reported, “Ann Marie Cote, of Long Beach, Calif., said her son, was allergic to mold and suffered a fatal, “severe anaphylactic reaction” in June 2013 to the fungus contained in Quorn’s Turk’y Burger, the lawsuit alleges.

Quorn products are made from a protein-rich fungus the company makes in large fermentation vats, company and U.S. Food and Drug Administration records show.

The lawsuit says that the product was “effectively a deadly poison for him…All desperate medical measures undertaken thereafter were unavailing. Neither Miles’ family nor his emergency doctors knew or had any reason to suspect that Miles was reacting to his ingestion of a massive amount of mold.”


Washington Post

Call Now

Pin It on Pinterest